Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Basic data and tourism information on Alwar District of Rajasthan


Alwar District at a Glance
General
·                     District:                       Alwar
·                     Headquarters:           Alwar
·                     State:                          Rajasthan
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011) 
·                     Total:                          8380
·                     Rural:                         8146
·                     Urban:                        234
Population (Census 2011) 
·                     Population:                3674179
·                     Rural:                         3019728
·                     Urban:                        654451
·                     Male:                          1939026
·                     Female:                      1735153
·                     Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males):                     895
·                     Density (Total, Persons per sq km):                        438
Constituencies (ECI) 
·                     Assembly:       11
·                     Lok Sabha:     1

The district headquarter is the city of Alwar.
 It is bound on the north by Rewari district of Haryana, on the east by Bharatpur and Mewat district of Haryana, on the south by Dausa, and on the west by Jaipur district.
As of 2011 it is the third most populous district of Rajasthan (out of 33) after Jaipur and Jodhpur.
The district has industrial estates such as Alwar, Bhiwadi, Shahjahanpur, Neemrana, Behror where companies such as G. S. Pharmbutor, Ashok Leyland, Pepsi, Parryware, Kajaria Ceramics and Honda Motors have manufacturing plants.




PLACES OF INTEREST

Bala Quila

Bala Quila

Bala Quila or Alwar Fort stands atop a steep hill and provides a great view of the city from its watch towers. This fort is said to have been constructed by Hasan Khan Mewati in 1942 A.D. after passing several hands. It was finally conquered in 1775 A.D. by Maharao Raja Pratap Singh, the founder of Alwar.

The fort extends 5 kms from north to south and 1.6 kms from east to west. It is 595 mtrs. above sea level and 304 mtrs. above the city. It has 15 large and 51 small towers with 446 loopholes for musketry. The fort can be entered from six gates namely Jai Pol, Chand Pol, Kishan Pol, Andheri Pol, Suraj Pol and Lakshman Pol. The remains of Jai Mahal, Nikumbh Mahal, Salim Sagar, Suraj Kund and many temples reflect the grand style of yore. A fortress built by Alaghu Rai in 1049 A.D. is also located here.
Vijay Mandir Palace:

Vijay Mandir Palace


This royal residence, built in 1918, belonged to Maharaja Jai Singh and lies 10 km outside of Alwar. It lies a short detour away from the road to Bala Qila (Alwar Fort).

Vijay Mandir Palace was built after Raja Jai Singh ordered the demolition of the earlier residence of Moti Doongri in 1928. It is a privately-owned property and currently entry to Vijay Mandir Palace is not allowed and hence it can only be viewed from afar. The royal family still lives here.

Vijay Mandir Palace was the erstwhile royal palace of Maharaja Jai Singh. It is an example of marvelous architecture, built to look like an anchored ship. The palace looks even more spectacular because of the serene location; the lake fills up during the monsoon making it look even more exotic with a reflection of the massive palace.

Vijay mandir palace by a lake

This sprawling palace has an astonishing 105 rooms. It is surrounded by lush green gardens and a quaint lake by the name of Vijay Sagar that also gives its name. Within the palace complex is a beautiful Sita Ram temple. The picturesque lake overlooking the palace makes it a fascinating sight.
Siliserh Lake

Siliserh Lake

The water palace of Siliserh with a lake surrounded by low wooded hills is on route to Sariska. It lies 12 km Southwest of Alwar. The tranquil lake is nestled in the hills; the sparkling ripples of the lake cover an area of about 7 sq. km, surrounded by thick forest and magnificent cenotaphs on its embankment. A royal hunting lodge /palace was built by Maharaja Vinay Singh for his Queen Shila in 1845. It has been converted into a tourist bungalow and is an attractive spot for a peaceful holiday.
Sariska (35 Kms)

In the hills of the Aravallis this thickly wooded area throbs with wildlife. Not only a delight for wildlife lovers, it is also an attraction for the enthusiasts of art and archeology. About 300 Hindu and Jain temples (8th-12th Century) of mythological, religious and historical significance are built here. Important locations in Sariska are:
Sariska Palace

Sariska Palace

Built as a royal hunting lodge by Maharaja Jai Singh in the 19th century, stands the Sariska palace. A magnificent piece of architecture, it is now a luxury hotel.
Sariska Tiger Reserve & National Park

Sariska Tiger Reserve

It features dry, open forest over a large area of hills and valley with lovely springs cascading through them. It has a number of exotic fauna consisting of tiger, leopard, hyena, sambhar, chital, nilgai, chausingha, langurs and rhesus monkeys. The fauna varies from parakeet, partridge, crested serpent eagle, red spur fowls, treeple and golden backed woodpecker, babble and bulbul.
Ajabgarh-Bhangarh

Bhangarh ruins

Mystery surrounded this ancient town of Bhangarh, as this town of about 10,000 dwellings was suddenly abandoned for reasons unknown. It is well connected by road. Worth seeing is the beauty of several temples in the area. Ajabgarh was the new habitation of dwellers of Bhangarh after it was deserted. Today a bustling village can be seen existing among old structures.
City Palace

City Palace Alwar

A blend of Rajput and Mughal architecture, the City Palace of Alwar dates back to the 18th century. Presently, in the ground floor of the palace, government offices and district courts are functioning. The attractions of the City Palace Rajasthan include an artificial lake constructed by Maharaja Vinay Singh in 1815.There are also a number of temples on the banks of the lake.

Inside the palace is a splendid chhatri, having Bengali roof and arches. It is known as Moosi Maharani ki Chhatri. Located within this chhatri is the Company Garden, known as Purjan Vihar. The garden was built during the reign of Maharaja Shiv Dan Singh in the year 1868. Maharaja Mangal Singh made further additions to the garden in 1885.This garden is an ideal picnic spot in summers providing lush green surroundings, along with the cool shades of its numerous trees.
Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri


'Chhatri' means an elevated dome-shaped porch which, in Rajput architecture, is built to symbolize honor and pride. 'Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri' is a historical monument of Rani Moosi and her king Bakhtawar Singh. Rani Moosi had committed 'Sati' and in her honor, 'Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri' was built. The Chhatri is located at the top of a  pillared sandstone and the double storied elephant structure built here serves as the major source of tourist attraction. This spectacular design was made by Vinay Singh in 1804 AD.


Moosi maharani ki chhatri

The place is a double storied building with the upper floor completely made with marble stone. It houses magnificent curves and polished roofs. Also, there is a water pond which is located inside the premises. It was built by Vinay Singh in 1815 AD.
Bhartrihari Baba Temple

Bharthari Temple

Raja Bharthari was the ruler of Ujjain in the 1st century BC and is a famous hero of the folk tales of North India. He had handed over his rule to his younger brother, Vikramaditya and had started following Guru Gorakhnath. Later, Bharthari got renowned by the name of 'Nath Panth Yogi' and is believed to have spent the last few years of his life at this place in Alwar. The Bharthari temple was built in his honor. This temple has become a pilgrimage now and attracts a lot of devotees from across the nation.
Company Garden

Company Garden

This garden was laid out during the reign of Maharaja Sheodan Singh in 1868 A.D. A summer house, 'Shimla', was added to it by Maharaja Mangal Singh in 1885 A.D. The garden was originally called Company Garden but later Maharaja Jai Singh changed it to Purjan Vihar.
Neelkanth Temple

Neelkanth Mahadev temple

A few miles west, of Rajgarh town, above Tehla village, lies the Neelkanth temple. Located on a plateau of the hills, archaeologically, it is one of most amazing places to discover. This was once a town adorned with temples and statues Its old name is Rajorgarh.
Jaisamand Lake

Jaisamand Lake (Image credit: Anil Yadav Alwar 091)

Located very close to Alwar, Jaisamand Lake is spread across 1.5 km. Around the banks of the lake there are many beautiful shaded porches and magnificent towers. All of these towers and porches were built on lotus-shaped foundations and have a height of around 7 feet. This lake was built in order to store water from River Ruparail. 
Neemrana Fort

Neemrana Fort

Neemrana is a historical place situated in Alwar district. Previously the place was known by the name 'Raath' and was a home for Chouhan Rajputs. It is situated at a distance of 122 km from Delhi and at a distance of 150 km from Jaipur. The place comes under Behror Tehsil and is located in the middle of Shahjahanpur and Behror. Neemrana is also known as 'Ahirwal region' and serves as an industrial hub for the State.
The famous Neemrana fort is also housed in this area which was built in the 16th century and was occupied by Chouhan Rajputs till 1947. Since 1986, Neemrana is internationally renowned for its fort palace which is revitalized now as a heritage hotel. The place houses hanging gardens, pools and restaurants. 'Mini Japan' is also located in Neemrana.
TIJARA JAIN TEMPLE

Tijara Jain Temple

About 60 kilometres from the Alwar-Delhi route lies this important centre of Jain pilgrimage. The exquisitely decorated ancient temple was built to commemorate the eighth Tirthankar, Shri Chandra Prabha Bhagwan. The son of King Mahasen and Queen Sulakshana, he ruled his kingdom for several years before receiving Diksha and being initiated. After serving mankind for several years, he meditated for a month and attained Nirvana.
NEEMRANA BAORI

Neemrana Baori (Step well)

Located in Neemrana, the Neemrana Baori is not very far from the fort palace. The first sight itself hints at how glorious the place must have been in the past. A marvel of architecture, Neemrana Baori looks more like a fortress than a step well. With each floor having a height of about 20 feet, and with 9 floors making up the entire structure, you can imagine how deep it runs. There are no carvings in the structure, maybe because it was built rather later in time, after the more architectural times of earlier centuries. However, the structure still shows all signs of being a glorious building. At the ground level, there used to be colonnaded openings later they had to descend steps to reach the deep water source. The lower steps or floors were of course under water most of the time. In its essence, the Neemrana Baori is a glimpse into the architectural nuances of the past, gazing upon which you shall be thoroughly amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment