Bharatpur District at a Glance
· District: Bharatpur
· Headquarters: Bharatpur
· State: Rajasthan
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
· Total: 5066
· Rural: 4916
· Urban: 150
Population (Census 2011)
· Population: 2548462
· Rural: 2053363
· Urban: 495099
· Male: 1355726
· Female: 1192736
· Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males): 880
· Density (Total, Persons per sq km): 503
· Assembly: 7
· Lok Sabha: 1
The town of Bharatpur is the District Headquarters and Divisional Headquarters. Bharatpur District is a part of National Capital Region of India
It is bounded by NUH district of Haryana on the north, Mathura and Agra districts of Uttar Pradesh on the east, and the district of Dholpur on the south, Karauli on the southwest, Dausa on the west and Alwar district in the north-west.
Three rivers, the Ban Ganga, Rooparel, and Gambhir, cross the district. The Ban Ganga originates in Jaipur District, passes through Dausa and Bharatpur districts to meet the Yamuna River in Uttar Pradesh. The Gambhir River starts from Pachana Dam of Karauli District, and meets the Ban Ganga in Bayana Tehsil. The Rooparel River starts from hills of Alwar District and enters the district in Kaman Tehsil.
When Bharatpur was a princely state, it was the only political entity ever to have a chartreuse colored flag.
PLACES OF INTEREST
KEOLADEO NATIONAL PARK
|Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary|
This is a bird sanctuary, also known as Keoladeo Ghana Bird Sanctuary. Bharatpur is a very popular tourist spot in Rajasthan and most of the Rajasthan tours invariably include Bharatpur tours. Bharatpur, as a tourist destination, offers a lot. With tourist attractions that ranges from sanctuaries to palaces, it is a truly a worthwhile visit. To experience the blissful beauty of the place, people from different parts of India as well as abroad come all the way to Bharatpur. The popularity of Bharatpur has skyrocketed in the last few years. It will grow even more as Bharatpur increasingly becomes a familiar name in the global tourism map. Though there are a number of attractions in Bharatpur, the Bharatpur bird Sanctuary is the most popular tourist spot among tourists. Nature lovers have a wonderful time while in the particular bird sanctuary.
The particular park was built with a definite purpose. It was built to save Bharatpur from the effects of flood water. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was the man behind the noble cause and built it in the 19th century. Boasting as many as 350 species of bird and a wide range of reptiles, the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary got the status of World Heritage status in the year 1985. The status may not have changed the character of the sanctuary too much but it has definitely drawn the attention of large number of tourists.
MUSEUMS IN BHARATPUR
|Government Museum Bharatpur|
Bharatpur Government Museum, housed in Lohagarh Palace was inaugurated on November 11, 1944. The place is around 4 km away from the main bus stand of Bharatpur and has scriptures and ancient objects from the first half of 19th century. The museum consists of around 120 terracottas, 670 coins, 196 miniature paintings, 10 inscriptions, 581 stone sculptures and 861 local art and craft. The Kachari Kalan building in Lohagarh, which was built during the rule of Maharaja Balwant Singh, is converted into the museum and has been open to the public. In 1939 AD, the scriptures and ancient objects were collected from different parts of the region and kept here.
This is beautiful garden town in north of Bharatpur, the gardens have been laid with great care and precision, the sparkling fountains and meticulous palaces add to the beauty of this idyllic retreat of the princes of Bharatpur. The tourist enjoy the charming settings of this agricultural town, along with the well preserved Deeg palace pavilions and gardens.
Some very interesting buildings are worth visiting in this town.
The fort stands majestically over a slightly elevated point, built by Raga Suraj Mal. The fort is surrounded by impressive moats, armpits and gateways, the interiors are mostly in ruins now, but the watch tower still stands in the ruins keeping an eye over the City and Palace; over it is placed a gun captured from Agra fort.
Completed in 1760, an imaginatively designed building complex with beautifully laid gardens at its entrance and the rear overlooks the Gopal Sagar which is flanked with smaller pavilions Sawan and Bhadon. The formal gardens face a raised terrace with an arch of lustrous marble installed on a pedestal in the form of swing. This exquisite swing is a war trophy brought in by the famous Jat king Raja Suraj Mal from the Mughal court in Delhi. The spacious and well proportioned Banquet Hall has a double row of graceful pillars. The rear of the chamber is further divided by a charming sunken pool with fountains. The Banquet hall houses a rich collection of curios, souvenirs and Victorian furniture. Staircases wind upstairs to the upper floors. One room contains a solid black marble bed from Delhi.
It houses the dining room, and has sloping arches, with comfortable cushions along the outer edges forming the seating area. The walls of the royal Chess Room have trellis design and are painted in soft red.
To the east of the main building, this palace has balconies overhanging the water. The entire palace in marble is like an airy pavilion with fine ornamentation within the apartments.
It is a large audience hall. KRISHNA BHAVAN, and the ingeniously designed water works of KESHAV BHAVAN, with open twelve pillared pavilion are of great interest.
It is the oldest palace, planned as a spacious rectangle encircled by compartments and chamber, it has a collection of some very fine Rajput and Mughal schools.
The Iron Fort, also known as The Lohagarh Fort, true to its name stood solidly in the face of many British attacks, and frustrated them till the end. It faced the British onslaught four times and after a long siege they had to withdraw, but Lord Lake, however was successful in capturing it in 1805. It is very different from the other forts in state; there is no flamboyance associated with the fort but it generates an aura of strength and magnificence. The fort is surrounded by moat which was previously filled with water to ward off the enemy attacks. The sandy ramparts were strengthened by sandy battlements, thus the enemy guns proved to be of no avail. Some interesting monuments in the fort are Kishori Mahal, Mahal Khas and Kothi Khas. Moti Mahal and towers like Jawahar Burj and Fateh Burj were erected to commemorate the victory over the Mughals and the British army. The Gateway has paintings of huge elephants.
There is also the historical “Ganga Mandir” in the heart of Bharatpur. This temple is situated inside the iron fort named "Choburja" and is a precious architecture in the eastern part of Rajasthan.
Approved tourist guides for the Keoladeo National Park can be hired from the following places.
1. The Asstt. Director, Tourist Reception Center, Hotel Saras (RTDC).
2. Deputy Chief Wildlife Warden, Forest Rest House.
3. Guides are also available at the Bird Sanctuary gate.