Thursday, March 12, 2020

Basic data and tourism information on Bikaner District of Rajasthan


Bikaner District at a Glance
General
·                     District:                      Bikaner
·                     Headquarters:          Bikaner
·                     State:                          Rajasthan
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011) 
·                     Total:                          30239
·                     Rural:                         30029
·                     Urban:                       210
Population (Census 2011) 
·                     Population:               2363937
·                     Rural:                         1563553
·                     Urban:                        800384
·                     Male:                          1240801
·                     Female:                      1123136
·                     Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males):                     905
·                     Density (Total, Persons per sq km):                        78
Constituencies (ECI) 
·                     Assembly:       7
·                     Lok Sabha:     1

The historic city of Bikaner is the district headquarters. Bikaner is also a Division with four districts, viz., Bikaner, Churu, Sri Ganganagar and Hanumangarh.
The district is bound by Ganganagar District to the north, Hanumangarh District to the northeast, Churu District to the east, Nagaur District to the southeast, Jodhpur District to the south, Jaisalmer District to the southwest, and Punjab Province of Pakistan to the northwest.
Bikaner District lies in the Thar Desert. The Indira Gandhi Canal, also known as the Rajasthan Canal, runs through the district from northeast to southwest, providing irrigation water for the district. World famous miracle temple of Karnimata in Deshnok near Bikaner also known as the Temple of Rats.

PLACES OF INTEREST


Junagarh Fort

Junagarh Fort

Built in 1593 AD by Raja Rai Singh, Junagarh is a fort in Bikaner. It was previously known as Chintamani Durg, but was named Junagarh fort in the beginning of the 20th century. It is one of the rare forts which are not built on a hill-top. The city of Bikaner is built around Junagarh Fort. There were repeated attacks on this fort in history but nobody could manage to bring the fort under their rule.
The architecture of the fort belongs to the Gujarati and Mughal style. Rajput style of architecture can also be seen in some parts of the fort. Junagarh fort also houses Chandra Mahal, Anup Mahal, Dungar Mahal, Hawa Mahal, Ganga Mahal and Deewan-e-Khaas. It is one of the most famous tourist attractions of the district.
Lalgarh Palace

Lalgarh Palace

Maharaja Ganga Singh built the Lalgarh palace in 1902 AD in memory of his late father Maharaja Lal Singh. The palace was designed by Sir Samuel Jacob and was made using red sandstone. The architecture of the palace includes European, Mughal and Rajput styles. The palace has a huge lawn which has peacocks residing there. There is also a card room, a billiards room and a library housed in the palace.
The fort contributes a lot to the tourism of the State.
Gajner Palace

Gajner Palace

A lakeside palace built by Maharaja Ganga Singh, Gajner palace was used as a place of retreat after hunting by the royal family. The palace is made of red sandstone and houses a marvelous style of architecture.  It is now converted into a heritage hotel with all modern facilities. It is located in the middle of a dense forest and visitors can enjoy the picturesque view of a lot of migratory birds from this place.
Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary

Gajner Wild life Sanctuary

Located at a distance of around 32 km from Bikaner city, Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary was previously a hunting ground for the royal family. The sanctuary houses a beautiful lake as well. The lake also draws various avian species. The species found in the sanctuary are deer, nilgai, black buck, wild boar, desert fox, antelope and wildfowl.
Bikaner Camel Safari

Camel Safari

Another attraction in Bikaner is the famous Camel Safari which is organized by the Tourism Department of the State. The Safari comprises of taking the tourists to a ride on the camel back to visit the vast Thar desert. It also includes taking the tourists to the sunset point which is very famous in Bikaner.
Ganga Singh Museum

Ganga Singh Museum

Ganga Singh Museum was constructed by Maharaja Ganga Singh in 1937 AD. The museum is a famous tourist place and houses historical articles which prove that the civilization existed even before the existence of Harappan times. The historic articles include weapons of the Rajput rulers, paintings, pottery etc.
Sadul Singh Museum

Sadul Singh Museum

Sadul Singh Museum is another place of tourist attraction and is located on the second floor of Lalgarh palace.
Sadul Singh museum came into existence in 1972 AD and presently houses a number of hunting trophies, Georgian paintings and rare artifacts. The museum also houses historical articles of the times of Maharaja Ganga Singh, Sadul Singh and Karni Singh.
Jain Temple

Jain Temple of Bikaner

The famous Jain temple of Bikaner was initiated by Bhandasa Oswal in 1468 AD. Based on Rajputana style of architecture, the construction of the temple was completed in 1514 AD. It is a marvelously built temple with sculpted pillars and gold leaf work. It is a three-storied building made of red sandstone and white marble.
Deshnok Temple

Deshnok Temple

In Bikaner district, near Nokha, there is a small town called Deshnok which is located at a distance of around 32 km from Bikaner city. The place is a pilgrimage centre of Karni Mata, who used to live here in the 14th century and dedicated her life for the upliftment of the poor of all communities. Deshnok temple is also known by the name of Karni Mata Temple.
Kolayatji

Temple Complex of Kolayat Ji

The temple complex of Kolayat ji is located 50 kilometres from Bikaner and is a holy place of pilgrimage for Hindus. The legend has it that Kapil Muni, the advocate of Shankya yoga of the Hindu philosophy, while journeying towards northwest was struck by the tranquility and peace of this place and chose to perform tapasya (penance) here for the redemption of the world. This place has since acquired great sanctity. Kapil is believed to have shed his body under a Peepal tree. The marble temples located here are adorned with beautiful pavilions made of sandstones. In addition to the temples, the place has 32 ghats which have been constructed around a giant artificial lake. Devotees regard it holy to take a dip in its water. A grand annual fair is held here on the full moon day of the Indian month of Kartik. Cattle fair is the main attraction of the people visiting the fair.
Rampuria Havelies

One of the havelis of Bikaner

Other havelis located nearby

Bikaner is situated in the north-west of Rajasthan and it can rightfully boast of some unique architectural marvels of India. It has an ancient fort unparalleled in its splendour. It can boast of many attractions for anyone interested in culture or art or architecture. Apart from Junagarh fort, Jain temples like Bhandasar temple, Neminath temple, Adeshwar temple are simply adorable. Lallgarh Palace is built in Victorian style but its stone and wood carvings are typical combinations of Mughal and Rajput art developing a typical Bikaneri flavor of architecture. Carvings find best expression in Bikaneri havelies. Havelies are marvels in home architecture. Such havelies or residential houses do not exist anywhere in the world. They are the pride of Bikaner, says great author and philosopher, Aldous Huxley. They are situated in narrow lanes in the old city. Splendid abodes can be seen in the midst of streets that look serpent like and peaceful. They are marvelous mansions made of red stone and stand magnificently.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Basic data and tourism information on Bundi District of Rajasthan


Bundi District at a Glance

General
·                     District:                      Bundi
·                     Headquarters:          Bundi
·                     State:                          Rajasthan
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011) 
·                     Total:                          5776
·                     Rural:                         5596
·                     Urban:                        180
Population (Census 2011) 
·                     Population:               1110906
·                     Rural:                         888205
·                     Urban:                       222701
·                     Male:                          577160
·                     Female:                      533746
·                     Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males):                     925
·                     Density (Total, Persons per sq km):                        192
Constituencies (ECI) 
·                     Assembly:       3
·                     Lok Sabha:     0

The town of Bundi is the district headquarters.
Bundi District is bordered to the north by Tonk District, to the west by Bhilwara District, to the East by Kota District and to the southwest by Chittorgarh District. The town of Indragarh and nearby places are famous for the renowned temples of Bijasan Mata and Kamleshwar. The Indargarh step well is considered as one of the most attractive places in the Bundi district, especially during the rainy season.
Agriculture contributes a major portion to the overall economic growth in Bundi. Major agricultural crops include pulses, wheat, gram, barley, cotton, tobacco and oil seeds. Among oil seeds, mustard and rape are the mostly produced. Important fruit trees in Bundi include orange, pomegranate, lemon, guava and mango.


PLACES OF INTEREST



Overview of Bundi town


SUKH MAHAL

Sukh Mahal



Night view of Sukh Mahal

“Sukh” in Hindi literally means happiness. This palace has such a serene ambience that it justifies the name. Sukh Mahal, a small two-storied palace was once a summer retreat of ancient rulers. Today, it is known for being the place where Kipling wrote ‘Kim’. Many credit the palace as having inspired the renowned novel. In fact, part of a movie based on the novel was even shot here.
RANIJI KI BAORI
 
Raniji ki Baori

Raniji ki Baori, also known as 'Queen's Step-well', is a famous step-well built in 1699 by Rani Nathavati Ji, the younger queen of the erstwhile king Rao Raja Anirudh Singh of Bundi. This multi-storied step-well displays excellent carvings of Gajraj (elephant) with his trunk turned inwards, giving the impression of having drunk water from the baori on its pillars. Its high arched gate gives it an inviting appearance.
DABHAI KUND
 
The Dabhai Kund (Step Well)

Shaped like an inverted pyramid, the Dabhai Kund, also known as Jail Kund, is the largest of its kind in Bundi. The fantastic carvings on the steps that lead to the water alone are reason enough to warrant a visit to this place.
NAGAR SAGAR KUND
 
Nagar Saagar Kund

Located outside the Chauhan Gate, the Nagar Sagar Kund, a set of twin step wells, was constructed to provide water during times of famine.
TARAGARH FORT
 
Taragarh Fort (Image Credit)

Built in 1345, Taragarh is one of the most impressive structures in Bundi. While it may be a bit ramshackle and strewn with overgrown vegetation, the palace grounds are a great place for a leisurely stroll. With its curved roofs topping pavilions, excess of temple columns and elephant and lotus motifs, the palace is a tribute to Rajput style.

BUNDI PALACE

 
Bundi Palace (Image credit: Tourmyindia)
One of the oldest city in Rajasthan is bundi, which is 1000 years old. Bundi came under the control of Rajputs via war in 14th century,who ruled till 2009. Bundi became a flourishing city of Rajasthan, because of Rajput rulers who had a great political sense and had a friendly ties with Mughals, British and Government of India.
Bundi palace history gets emerged because of Ratan Singh, who was a famous ruler of Bundi and a close ally of Mughal emperor Jahangir. Bundi palace history is still remarkable because of Rajputs kings
Bundi palace is famous for its rich heritage. Bundi palace is the most popular attractions of Bundi in Rajasthan. Bundi palace was built by Rao Raja Ratan Singh (king of Rajput ruler) between 1607 A.D. to 1631 A.D.
Palace is situated adjacent to the Taragarh Fort. This outstanding palace, built during the 16th and 17th centuries, represents classic Rajasthani architecture.


LAKE NAWAL SAGAR

Nawal Saagar Lake

Nawal Sagar Lake is an artificial lake that is a major tourist attraction and can even be seen from the Taragarh Fort. There is a half-submerged temple dedicated to Lord Varun Dev in its centre. What makes the lake unique is that one can see the reflection of nearby palaces and forts in its waters.
RAMGARH VISHDHARI SANCTUARY

Ramgarh Vishdhari Sanctuary

Ramgarh Vishdhari Wildlife Sanctuary is located 45 kilometres from Bundi on the Bundi-Nainwa road. Covering an area of 252 sq. km., this sanctuary is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Established in 1982, it forms a buffer for Ranthambore National Park. The best time to visit is between September and May.
GARH PALACE BUNDI
 
Panoramic view of Garh Palace

The Garh Palace in Bundi is counted among the largest palaces in India, even if it is a little less known. Inside, the palace is a collection a number of palaces that were built by different rulers over the span of 3 centuries. Garh Palace is known for its Rajput architecture, which is easily noticeable in the jharokhas and pillars, many of which sport elephant carvings. Some of the famous palaces here include Chhatra Mahal, Phool Mahal and Badal Mahal, but one of the most famous ones has to be the Chitrashala, which has a fascinating pavilion and gallery of miniature murals. The palace is open to visitors from 8.00 am in the morning till 5.00 pm in the evening. There is a small entry fee that has to be paid, and one has the option to hire a guide who can take you through the stories and history of this beautiful palace.

BADAL MAHAL
 
Badal Mahal

The Badal Mahal, also known as the Palace of Clouds, is located within the Garh Palace. The majestic palace’s walls are covered in exquisite paintings which are engaging in their mien, and depict an early influence of the Chinese culture. The royal residence was built in two diverse time periods. In the first stage, the verandah and ground floor was built by Maharawal Gopinath, and the rest of the construction was done in 1609 – 1657 AD by Marahawal Punjraj. Made of Dawra stone, all three arches of the Mahal sport one half-ready lotus, with the longest vault of the Mahal having three half-ready lotuses. When visiting the Mahal, you get entrancing views of the inside and outside of the fortifications, making the palace a must-visit destination in Bundi.

CHITRA MAHAL
 
Chitra Mahal

The Chitra Mahal in Bundi was once a spectacular garden palace that teemed with numerous fountains as well as pools that housed exotic fish. Chitra means painting, and this palace’s name stems from the beautiful murals that adorn its walls. In older times, during the 18 th century, Bundi was a beehive for miniatures, and miniature paintings were highly encouraged. From gods and goddesses, battle scenes, and elephants to images of Radha and Krishna, these paintings depict a special delicacy that is known only in the region. There’s also a Chitrashala in the Chitra Mahal that was made under orders from Umed Singh. Being the innermost chamber of the Mahal, sunlight and moisture hasn’t affected the paintings here, making the art glow with the originality of their painters. In its totality, the walls and ceilings of the Chitra Mahal form a dramatic panaroma that is always worth a visit.
SHIKAR BURJ
 
Shikhar Burj

Shikar Burj happens to be one of the more well-known tourist destinations located in the city of Bundi. The Shikar Burj is actually an old hunting cottage that was built and owned by the rulers of Bundi, and is located at a little distance from Sukh Mahal. Shikar Burj is nestled amidst the sun dappled forests of Bundi and was the place to which Umed Singh, the ruler of Bundi in the 18th century, withdrew to after he had renounced the throne. Near Sarbagh, Shikar Burj has now been converted into a popular picnic spot and is a great place to spend an evening, relaxing after a day of sightseeing.

Monday, February 10, 2020

Basic data and tourism information on Chittorgarh District of Rajasthan

Chittorgarh District at a Glance
General
·                     District:                      Chittorgarh
·                     Headquarters:          Chittorgarh
·                     State:                          Rajasthan
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011) 
·                     Total:                          7822
·                     Rural:                         7672
·                     Urban:                       150
Population (Census 2011) 
·                     Population:               1544338
·                     Rural:                         1259074
·                     Urban:                        285264
·                     Male:                          783171
·                     Female:                      761167
·                     Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males):                     972
·                     Density (Total, Persons per sq km):                        197
Constituencies (ECI) 
·                     Assembly:       5
·                     Lok Sabha:     1
The historic city of Chittorgarh is the administrative headquarters of the district.
The district is divided into a larger western portion and a smaller eastern portion by Neemuch District of Madhya Pradesh. The western portion is bounded by Neemuch, Mandsaur, and Ratlam districts of Madhya Pradesh to the east, and the Rajasthan district of Pratapgarh to the south, Udaipur and Rajsamand to the east, and Bhilwara to the north. The eastern portion is bounded by Bhilwara, Bundi, and Kota districts of Rajasthan to the north and Neemuch District of Madhya Pradesh to the south and west.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Chittorgarh one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the twelve districts in Rajasthan currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).


PLACES OF INTEREST

Chittorgarh Fort
Chittorgarh fort is the largest forts of the Asian sub-continent and is housed in the city of Chittorgarh.  The fort is also famous by the name of Chittor. It served as the capital of Mewar during ancient times.


Chittorgarh Fort at a glance (Image credit)

The fort is located on a hill-top 180 m above sea level and is spread in an area of 280 hectares. The total height of the fort above sea level is around 609 m.

Side view of Chittorgarh Fort (Image credit)

Guhilots ruled the fort initially but Sisodia clan ruled on the fort after that and ruled the place for more than eight centuries. Akbar attacked and conquered the fort in 1567 AD.
It is the largest fort of the country and is a famous tourist spot.

Vijaya Stambh
At a distance of 600 m from Kumbha Palace and 8 km from Chittorgarh Railway Station, Vijay Stambh is a nine-storey tower located inside the premises of Chittorgarh fort. It was built in order to commemorate the victory of Rajputs over Muslim ruler Allaudin Khilji in 1440 AD. The tower has a height of 37 m. Vijay Stambh is an imposing historical monument and one of the most famous tourist places of the city because of the picturesque view one gets from the top of the tower.

The magnificent Vijaya Stambh was built by Mewar King Maharana Kumbha in 1448 AD to commemorate his victory over the combined armies of Malwa and Gujarat led by Mahmud Khilji. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, Vijay Stambh is a 9 story tower with a height of 37.19 m. Made with red sand stone and white marble, this tower has a balcony in each stories. An inscription in the uppermost storey giving detailed chronological account of life and achievements of rulers of Chittor was taken up by Rana Kumbha's court scholar Atri and was later completed by his son Mahesh.


Vijay Stambh (Image credit)

Vijay Stambh built in Rajput style is covered with architectural ornaments, images of Gods and Goddesses, seasons, musical instruments and weapons. Intricate sculptures can be seen on the tower depicting the stories from Ramayana and Mahabharata. The tower is a remarkable example of religious pluralism practiced by the Rajputs. The topmost storey features an image of the Jain Goddess, Padmavati. Rana Kumbha also had the word Allah carved in Arabic nine times in the third storey and eight times in the eighth. This tower also has the portrait of Jaita, architect of this tower with his 3 sons - Napa, Puja and Poma in the 5th floor.
There are around 157 narrow steps leading to the terrace where the balconies give a beautiful top angle view of the whole town. When illuminated in the evening, the tower reflects a mesmerizing effect and the view is worth capturing.
Kirti Stambh
At a distance of 800 m from Kumbha Palace and 7.5 km from Chittorgarh Railway Station, Kirti Stambh or the Tower of Fame is an ancient Jain monument situated inside Chittorgarh Fort Complex. The tower is 22 m in height and is a seven-storied tower with sculptures of Adinath.

Kirti Stambh is older than Vijay Stambh and is another attraction for the tourists who visit Chittorgarh. Kirti Stambh is a 12th century tower built by a Jain merchant Jijaji Bhagerwala during the reign of Rawal Kumar Singh. The main purpose behind its commission was to glorify Jainism. This tower is dedicated to Adinath, the first Jain Thirthankara.


Kirti Stambh (Image credit)

Built in Solanki style architecture, it has many columned balconies, latticed arches and intricately carved niches. The tower is embellished with numerous figures of naked Thirthankars indicating that it belonged to the Digambara sect. In the lower storey, images of standing Adinatha are depicted on all the four cardinal directions whereas upper storeys contain hundreds of miniature images of Jain divinities. A number of Jain inscriptions can be found within and outside the tower, dating it to 896 AD.

There is a narrow stairway which leads through the seven storeys to the top. On the top floor there is an observation hall which offers a panoramic view of Chittorgarh city. A large number of followers of Jainism come to the tower to worship Lord Adinath. However this monument is closed for visitors to go inside the monument. One can view it from outside.
Rani Padmini's Palace


Rani Padmini Palace (Image credit)

The Rani Padmini palace was once the residence of the legendary Rani Padmini. Its rich architectural design and association with rich Rajputana heritage makes the place a treat for the tourists. A lotus pond is built in the palace as well which further beautifies the interior of the palace.

Rana Kumbha Palace

Rana Kumbha palace is a heritage monument situated near Vijay Stambh inside the Chittorgarh Fort complex, at a distance of 6 km from Chittorgarh Railway Station. It is one of the top places to visit in Chittorgarh Fort, The palace was rebuilt in the 15th century by Maharana Kumbha, on a ruined palace which was built in 734 AD by Bappa Rawal. He was known for his art and cultural patronages in Rajasthan's Mewar dynasty. It is in this palace that the Rajput King Maharana Kumbha lived his royal life.

According to the legends, the founder of the city of Udaipur, Maharana Udai Singh was born here, and his life was saved by his wet nurse Panna Dhai, who sacrificed her own son and successfully managed to take a young Udai Singh to a safe destination. This place was once the home of the famous bhakti poetess Meerabai. The palace is believed to have underground cellars where Rani Padmini and other women folks in the royal palace performed Jauhar during the attack of Ala-ud-din Khilji in 1303 AD. This is also said that their souls are still haunting this palace.


Rana Kumbha Palace (Image credit)

The Rana Kumbha Palace is a fine specimen of Rajput's architecture. It is a huge structure, built of sandstones, which are not of equal proportions. The palace is raised high from a large basement which is in the shape of a rectangle. The walls are ornamented with artificial battlements and turrets. The remarkable feature of the palace is its splendid series of canopied balconies. The entrance to the palace is through two gateways known as Suraj Pol and Tripolia Gate leading further to Suraj Gokhra, Zanana Mahal, and Kanwarpada-ka-Mahal in the open courtyard.

The palaces of Panna Dhai and Meerabai are situated in the southern part of this palace complex. A grand old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and stables of horses and elephants are placed nearby. The Nau Lakha Bandar (nine lakh treasury) building, the royal treasury of Chittor was also located close by. Now, across from the palace is a museum and archeological office. The Singa Chowri temple is also nearby.
Shri Sanwariaji Temple


Sanwariya Seth Temple

There is a town in Chittorgarh district named Mandaphia which is located at a distance of around 40 km from Chittorgarh city. It houses the beautiful Sanwariaji temple. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna and the idol in the temple is also referred to as Shri Sanwaria Seth, another name for Lord Krishna.

Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary
Bassi Wild Life Sanctuary

Another very famous tourist place for the visitors in Chittorgarh district is the Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary which is located at a distance of 5 km from the main city. The sanctuary is spread across more than 50 sq km and houses species of panthers, antelopes, mongoose, wild boars, etc. There are a lot of species of migratory birds which reside in this sanctuary as well. No one is allowed to enter the sanctuary without the permission of the District Forest Officer.
Menal


Menal Mini Khajuraho

Menal is also known as Mini Khajuraho and is famous for its temples. The place also houses beautiful forests and waterfalls. It is located on the Chittorgarh-Bundi Highway and serves as a picnic spot

FATEH PRAKASH PALACE MUSEUM

At a distance of 7.7 km from Chittorgarh Railway Station, Fateh Prakash Palace is situated near Rana Kumbha Palace and close to the Badi Pol inside Chittorgarh Fort Complex.

Fateh Prakash Palace was built by Rana Fateh Singh and has been named after him. This magnificent double storied palace is a grand specimen of modern Indian architecture. This is an edifice with a tower on each of its four corners crowned by domed chhattries. The palace illustrates the maharaja's inclination towards art and is famous for the pillars and corridors. During the year 1968, a big portion of the palace was converted into a public museum.

The museum is divided into sections dedicated to different antiquity such as coins, art, weapons, tribal life and wood crafts of the Bassi village. A large collection of sculptures and majority of the deities is harbored within this museum. Among the sculptures, Lord Ganesh statue from Pangarh is quite attractive and it is said that the statue had been created in the 8th - 9th century. Lord Indra and Jain Ambica statues are also worth seeing and were excavated from the Rashi village.


Fateh Prakash Palace

In this museum, all the weapons and equipment used in the battlegrounds of the Rajputs are displayed in broad details. There are daggers, knives, shields, axes, helmets, costumes and uniforms of soldiers, farsa and few other types of equipment required during war. One can also see some clay replicas of regional tribal clad in their traditional costumes inside the museum. Wood crafts from the local traditional designs and also a number of items from the royal families are found in this museum. Presently it has a large collection of paintings too, disclosing the historical facts attached to the fort.

KUMBHA SHYAM TEMPLE & MEERABAI TEMPLE

At a distance of 350 m from Kumbha Palace and 6 km from Chittorgarh Railway Station, Kumbha Shyam Temple is a Hindu temple situated inside Chittorgarh Fort. It is among the popular temples in Chittorgarh Fort Complex and also one of the top places to visit in Chittorgarh.

Kumbha Shyam Temple was built by Rana Kumbha in 1448 AD. The temple is dedicated to Varaha, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Though there is also a Kali Mata temple and Meerabai Temple in the same premise but the Kumbha Shyam temple is dominating in size. This temple is the place where Meera used to worship Lord Krishna, and Bhakti movement originated at this place.

The temple built in Indo Aryan style presents a compact architecture. The temple has a unique pyramid like roof with a high tower. The temple has an open pradakshinapath, ardha-mandapa, main mandapa, antarala and garbhagriha. The sculptures of various Hindu Gods and Goddesses inside the temple are fascinating. The sculptures of eight rulers of the land are also present in the temple. The image of Garuda stands under the canopy facing the temple.


Kumbha Shyam Temple

Meera Temple, situated in the same complex, was dedicated to bakthi poetess Meerabai. The temple was also constructed during the rule of Maharana Kumbha, the Rajput king. The temple was constructed in the Rajput architecture. The dome of the temple is embellished with a structure of five human bodies with a single head. The human bodies symbolize the four castes of the Hindu religion or the Varnas and the 5th caste of the Harijan. The single head symbolizes the faith in God, who can be equally realized by all. Above the chief sanctum rises the conical roof of the temple.

The sanctum sanctorum of the temple comprises of the paintings of Lord Krishna. Paintings of Meerabai offering prayers to the Lord are also placed in the inner sanctum. The small chhatri found in the temple's forecourt is dedicated to the mentor of Meerabai, Swami Ravidas. He hailed from Varanasi and belonged to the Harijan caste.